Did you know that American Agriculture affects more than 90% of all other American Industries? Agriculture is one of the farthest reaching industries in the U.S. and has an impact on everything from the price of Milk and Produce to the price of your favorite T-shirt! Here's a few more fun facts in honor of National Ag Day:
- 97% of all farms are family owned
- Farmers today produce 262% more food with 2% fewer inputs (such as seeds, labor, fertilizers) than they did in 1950.
- The average age of today's farmer is 55 years old
- 1 in 3 U.S. Farms are operated by Women
- 155 people are fed by a single U.S. Farmer
- 21 million American workers produce, process, and sale the nations food and fiber.
- Plows were invented in the Middle East soon after agriculture began. The plow has been cited as one of the most important inventions in the advancement of society.
- Farming began around 10,000 B.C. during the First Agricultural Revolution, when nomadic tribes began to farm.
- There are around 2.2 million farms in the United States.
- The word “farm” is from the Latin firmare, “to fix, settle, confirm, strengthen.”
- The world population will jump from 7 billion to 9 billion by 2050. Farmers will need to double food production by then to keep pace.